Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Are Tub/Shower Valves Interchangeable?
Author: cakins (MO)

Shopping online for tub/shower faucets and see that the valves are sometimes (always?) separate. Can one brand of valve be used with someone else's handles/spouts? Just curious, cause I found a faucet I like on Price Pfister's website, but they don't even list their own valves! Could I use a different brand valve instead?

Re: Are Tub/Shower Valves Interchangeable?
Author: rdog157h

buy moen or delta!! You be alot better off!! and parts are easy to get!!

Author: dlh (TX)

now that is just a persona; opinion. there is nothing wrong with price phister. in fact i prefer them.

now what do you mean they dont list their own valves? i am thinking you mean they just show the trim. if that is what you mean then dont worry about the valve. in the description it should tell all you need to know about the valve like if it is pressure balancing ect..

and to answear your question. no most trim is faucet/maufacture specific

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: cakins (MO)

What I mean about PP not listing their own valves is that they say a valve is required, but look for "valves" on their website and they aren't there. I had to really search to find the valves online. Even some online retailers of their faucets don't offer the valves, yet their descriptions say a valve is required. Why would they sell the trim and not the valve?

Also - re: "buy Moen or Delta" I wouldn't mind except their ultra modern stylings are out of my league unlike the Contempra line of Price Pfister. The Moens or Deltas in my price range are boring to me.

Author: hj (AZ)

You cannot interchange different manufacturer's handles and spouts. In fact sometimes you cannot even interchange the same manufacturer's trim between their own models.

I think you are mistaken about the valves not being available. Give a web site for one of those companies. If they do have the trim and not the valves, then it is a problem with the company, not Price Pfister.

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

First, you absolutely CANNOT mix manufacturers on trim and rough-in valves. In fact, even within one manufacturer, they have many valves and the trims are not interchangeable.

Shower sets are not always sold as separate trim and rough. In hardware stores and home centers they are almost always sold aa a complete set. Even on a manuf. website, you will often see a complete set. If they are showing trim and rough separate, the catalog will be very clear what trim needs what rough.

Author: shacko (MD)

Don't understand, a faucet is a valve. A lot of times the trim will work with a different valve, but it takes a lot of research to find some that is compatible

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Edited 2 times.

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

There are at least a dozen different splined broach sizes, not to mention un-splined brass stems with a flat side, not to mention varieties of plastic stems too numerous to mention. Now, we have not even mentioned the methods used to attach the escutcheons to the valve bodies, nor the necessary depth of handle broach and escutcheon.

Since it is not advisable to use the word NEVER when dealing with plumbing issues, I will just say if you are looking for a trim set for Brand "abc" and are looking at any other brand, it is probably a fools mission. Can you give any example of a trim that will fit a different brand? Don't even go there with so-called "universal fit" trims. That is not a professional approach, and judged by most to be unsatisfactory.

A lot of times the trim will work with a different valve

????? "A lot of times"? I think it is more a case of once in a great while, and even then it may take parts from two or three different manufacturers to make it work.

Author: redwood (CT)

Most of the time different trim from the same manufacturer won't even work! You have to figure the base valve then what fits on that I wouldn't even dream of wasting my time trying to mix and match across different manufacturers.

It might be something a DIYer might try over several weeks of spare time... It least until the whole family gets a bad case of BO!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Edited 1 times.

A DIY'er would get it done with aome ProPoxy, caulk, and maybe ductape.

Author: redwood (CT)

JB Weld wink

The thing is too that once a fixture is "bastardised" that it becomes even more difficult to figure out what it is and what is wrong with it. I had a recent job where a moen shower valve wouldn't shut off I was already to change out the cartridge when I realized that it would shut off if I pushed it in a little more. The faucet was supposed to have a #16090 escutchen, #10089 tube, & a #96797 knob. Someone had installed a trim kit for the moentrol valve fortunately the customer had another valve that had the right trim and I swapped and compared parts, verified what was needed got the right parts and completed the job. Without that other fixture it would have been next to impossible to figure out what they had done. It had worked because on "O" ring had been used as a spacer to make it go in a little more, but when the "O" ring broke it was over.

What I'm saying is there is only one way to do the job... THE RIGHT WAY!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.